Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Fantasy Aerie

I had a dream when I was young that still surfaces to this day--even after all these years.

Growing up in a fairly large family in a tiny house, I have always been in love with the warm feeling that comes from a little cubbyhole of comfort. To be in a little corner, isolated by couch cushions surrounding me, or enveloped in blankets or quilts on an overstuffed chair--it didn't matter.

I have fantasized about having a special place--a place where I could escape to a book, sit and doodle on a notepad, or just take a nap. It should have regular walls, but only up from the floor to about 2 or 3 feet. At that point they would be glass all the way to the ceiling. The glass would go all the way around, affording me a 360° view. I would have shaded places--maybe under towering plants--that would provide me with respite from the sun's glare during the middle of the day. It would be small and cozy, and would have a couple of chair choices--one for sitting, and one for reclining. It would be toasty warm, carpeted, and strewn with brightly-colored, over-sized pillows of interesting patterns.

It would be a place where I could gaze out at rain streaming down the outside of the glass. Where I could sit with coffee and watch the sun rise in all its glory. Where I could sit with a glass of wine and watch the sun as it faded into night with a last blaze of color.

And here's the kicker: It should be 50 feet in the air. It should be like a small tower or crows nest, with a spiral staircase leading to the top. No sound up there unless I created it. An escape. Sanctuary.

Even though I am 59 years old and can easily be with my thoughts any time I want to, the dream of that special place continues to make special appearances in my thoughts.


No comments: