Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Friday Fourth

I'm not overly thrilled about having to go to work this morning.

First of all, I've never been a fan of working weekends for any reason, but especially when Friday night happens to be the 4th of July.  Basically, last light I attempted to sleep through the bombing of Pearl Harbor (less the planes of course).  I actually did a fairly decent job of it.  I know I woke a time or two, but overall not bad.  But I am tired.

The 4th of July activities in my neighborhood differed from other places I've lived.  I'm used to a certain amount of explosions of course--that's what we do.  We are Americans and we like to drink and blow shit up.  But it was different here.  Because it's a rural setting, I didn't expect a whole lot of localized fireworks activity.  I was wrong.  The whole evening was filled with "whump" BOOM sound of mortar activity.  Maybe mortars are just this year's "thing" or something.  Maybe every neighborhood was filled with airborne explosions yesterday.  I just know during most of the evening it was pretty intense.  I never saw much of anything, but I heard it.  At some points they were literally rapid-fire.

I was hoping for a hot day yesterday so I could lie out in the sun.  This has been a very turbulent summer so far, and even though it's been a very good one weather-wise, I've had so much going on I haven't been able to soak any of it up.  It's time the weather ramped up on my days off.

I took off at about 8am yesterday and went to Winco in Sumner to stock up on some food items.  I was pleasantly surprised about the distance and the ease of getting there from here.  Just down the hill toward Puyallup and right onto the freeway.  7.5 miles total from door to door.  It was a good time to be there because it was not busy at all.  I could tell it would be though, because when I left there cars were filling the parking lot.

To work I will go this morning.  It will be weird.  For one--the shop will be a skeleton crew I'm sure.  Not many people will come in to work.  The other weird thing is that I'm "on loan" to the group next door during this coming 3 months.  (I moved my workplace last Monday.)  Even though I'm going to be physically in the other office, I will still do my prearranged weekend overtime rotation working for my regular group.  It will be like delivering and filling Coke machines while wearing a Pepsi uniform.  Well okay--not quite like that.

Well, the rooster clock out back just crowed... time for breakfast.

No comments: