Sunday, September 26, 2021

Young People in Old Bodies

Men my age are always buying shit we don't need, will never use, already have, or are too good of a deal to pass up. We are at a point in our lives (if things went halfway according to plan anyway) where we buy things because we can. I do the same thing. I spot things while I'm browsing the internet, or something will pop into my head while just walking around the house. Then I'll hit up the web and do some research, many times leading to a sale. I'm starting to change though--I will see something that looks like I can't live without it, and now I'll seriously consider it. That's because I'm starting to realize I don't have as many years left as my mind seems to think I do.

I think I'm still young.

Current (and usual) state of my workbench    
I still look at Craigslist ads all the time--looking for what I don't know, but I'll know it when I see it. I never know what my next fad or interest will be, and I'm pretty amazed at how easy it can happen. Here's a good example: My brother brought my old Honda ATC110 back after using it on his property for a few years. When I first sent it home with him I was single and didn't have much room in my rented duplex. Now I'm married, have a house with a shop, and a completely different outlook on things. In no time flat I've accumulated three complete ATC110's and an extra engine. There are parts all over hell in my shop. See what I mean? I have to keep telling myself, "stop looking at the fucking ads, man... you've got enough 3-wheeler shit!" The whole idea there was to get enough parts to make a nice one for Brenda to ride that's in as good of shape (read that 'complete') as mine is. It's really easy to get out of hand though.

I have come to realize the new predicament I'm in: I've got time I never had. Now that I'm retired I can afford to wander, dream, and over-analyze all I want. I have always had an overactive mind (which is both good and bad), but now I need to ask myself things like, "Do I still need that? Isn't it about time I looked into buying a good one? Do I have one of those?" I treat Craigslist ads as entertainment--something I wander in while I'm eating a bowl of cereal or something. I usually go on there and put an upper limit in the car search, like 1972, then sort from cheapest on up. There have been times when I've almost bought, then that little bastard goes *ping* on my shoulder and says, "No, you mustn't. You're old." I occasionally entertain the idea of buying another truck when I see the right deal, swapping whatever I wanted and reselling it. Luckily, the warning bells go off and stop me. The last thing I feel like doing these days is swapping major vehicle parts (unless they're busted). I just want to drive vehicles, not repair them.

As I said, retirement makes it worse. Now, I go to a store and amble around more than I used to because I have time. I might see something interesting and think, "I've always wanted one of those" or, "That's a hell of a deal, I should buy that multi-pack." If it's a tool or appliance I will usually buy, but I struggle the supply side of things. The packages with huge savings if you buy the package of multiple items. Recently, I bought a box full of great quality hacksaw blades at a garage sale. It was a super deal at five bucks, but when I got home I realized I have a shitload of hacksaw blades--more than I will ever use in my lifetime. I think it's because when I was young I never seemed to have a hacksaw blade around that was worth a shit.

Because I keep asking myself "What are the chances of you dying before you use this?" it annoys me when I see somebody with a t-shirt that stupidly boasts, "He who dies with the most toys wins." In my opinion, 'he who dies with the most toys has the biggest garage sale' of his beloved items, and for only pennies on the dollar.

We used to snicker at dad when he'd say something like, "My next bike's gonna be a Harley" when at that point in his life he barely even walk without a struggle. His mind was completely scattered at this point but it was still telling him he still a young man with lots of life left.

People are always getting hurt doing a seldom-practiced sport or some kind of task at home. It's not that we're attempting something we've never done--we've always done it. It's not like we think we're young (which would imply constant reassessment), we just assume so because our thinking has always been that way. Our minds still treat everything like we're still thirty years old. Yep, I get it now.

No comments: